Returning your personal effects, pets and vehicles to the UK


This guide is for UK personnel and their dependents who are posted to Cyprus and will be returning personal effects, and/or pets and/ or vehicles to the UK. To avoid paying tax and duties on arrival in the UK you can apply for 2 types of relief: Transfer of Residence Relief (ToR), or Returned Goods Relief.

In addition to applying for a relief for vehicles you will have to apply for a Notification of Vehicle Arrival (NOVA). This will need to be completed for all vehicles (tax free and tax paid in Cyprus). Failure to do so will mean that you will be unable to register your vehicle with DVLA.


This guide is an advisory notice only. It for the importer to check with the UK authorities and their guidance on the Gov.UK websites and ensure that they follow the correct procedures.

Please follow the links below for further information.